Movie of the Day #1 : The Greatest Game Ever Played

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 1 comments
    I decided to make this segment in my blog, entitled Movie of the Day, so that I could update my blog more and not to overwhelm you with the long posts on movies I had before, but I'd still do that every now and then. So basically this is how it would go. 


The Greatest Game Ever Played (2005)

Cast: Shia LaBeouf (Francis Ouimet), Stephen Dillane (Harry Vardon), Josh Flitter (Eddie Lowry), Marnie McPhail (Mary Ouimet), Elias Koteas (Arthur Ouimet), Matthew Knight (Young Francis)

Genre: Drama, Sports

The Story: is on how a young Francis Ouimet, who grew as a caddie, dreams and hopes on becoming a well-known golf player like his idol Harry Vardon, in a time that the said game is played and won only by those considered well-off gentlemen in the society. A story of hardships and perseverance. At the end, he was  considered to be the first amateur to win the U.S open, against greatest golfers of that time.  


SPOILERS!

Why I love it and why will you? 



       Years ago when I borrowed this movie in Video City, I was more into watching it because of Shia LaBeouf, but when I finished it, my tears can truly speak on how I love the story. It's a very moving story on not giving up on your dreams despite hindrances like your family, your economic status, previous failures, etc. What's more is that this movie is actually based on a real life story, which makes it more inspiring. It's also amazing how you can learn a lot about golf in this movie. Every hit, every score will excite you, and yes I'm particularly pertaining to that raining scene. You'll also love Francis' little caddie, Eddie, that cute, adorable kid. Here he is!


My Favorite Scenes: There's many, but I'd bring it down to three. First is a very short scene when this golf club-maker left a club for Francis when he was still a kid and that was the start of it all. Come to think of it, that man made it possible for the young Francis to experience what it was like to play golf, and he was also the one that convinced him to join the open and trained him.  


    The second is the first time he met Harry Vardon as a kid. He volunteered during a fans day sort-of thing, Harry said to him "Even in hour darkest hour, we must always remember, never despair!". Also a proud mom his mother was, there. Her mother is amazing and lovely, supporting  him all the way, getting all excited and nervous every time he plays .


     The last one is of course at the end, the finale scene. From the slow motion part where the ball went in the hole, her mother and the crowd went all wild and when Francis was carried by a few men after his victory, he saw his father in the crowd giving money as well. That was a bucket-of-tears moment for me, I could watch that scene all over again and not get used to it. It was just a lovely scene knowing that a lot of people are happy for you most especially you parents. Ah what a proud moment it was. 



    Thanks for reading! You, why do you love this movie and what's your favorite scene?


CREDITS:
Shia's picture
Others: screenshots from the movie

1 comments:

  • climberbob1 said...

    Agreed this is an excellent, timeless, and emotional film.

    Favorite oarts:

    1) based on a true, amazing story. And I mean amazing in the sense of the word or what it used to mean, before social media started using it every day for how a Kardashian stirred their coffee - I'm sorry, since one of the Kardashians fetched their caramel macchiato from Starbuck's.

    2) the end - from the moment his put drops and on:

    2a) My FAVORITE part of this sequence was the picture you have here where his hard-nosed father is handing up a hard earned dollar - after he repeatedly tried to discourage his son from trying because among other things, it was a sport for people above their working class. I was checking out a movie wth Elias Kotea in it a d u noticed he was in this movie, which I've seen a dozen times and couldnt place him. Then I saw he played the dad and I thought "of course", and u wanted to find exactly this shot. It results in instant tears every time - to me at least.
    2b) Eddie, his larger than his little, young life, how Wilemette stays with him when others laugh at him, and then the text at the bottom of the screen as the movie us ending and it tells of what they went on to do in life afterwards, and remained friends.

    3) The fact it's based on a true story (and not stretched too far, like many "based" on true stories). Any movie based on a true story always carries more weight with me. Accomplishments mean so much more because they really happened.

    4) the locker room encounters with Vardon and Wilmette (? Sorry),Vardon's facial expressions, and how he secretly admires Wilmete BECAUSE he's attempting to cross the social barrier that hes told can't be done, which is exactly what he did, but still must "keep it in the closet". There's a warmth and understanding when Vardin looks at Wilamete.

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I'd like to know what you have to say, do leave a comment :)